STEM Chose Me

I often get asked "Why did you choose a STEM field?" and honestly, I didn't choose STEM at first. 
I have always had a passion to help people, so I came into college wanting to be an EMT. Shortly after learning the hours I would be working, I decided they weren't compatible for a single mother of two, so I switched gears towards social work.

I am a domestic violence survivor, and firmly believe it was the intervention of CPS that saved my life. Because of this, I signed a MAAP program for a Masters in Social Work (MSW). 

When I took my college entry exams, I tested in lowest you could test them. This granted me the ability to take courses below 100 level and helped build the fundamental foundation I lacked in each subject, but it was math that drew me in. Once I got to MAT142 (the last math course needed for the MSW degree), I started
to find a passion I never knew existed. That passion lead to taking College Algebra as an elective the following semester. Everyone thought I was crazy, but really, I was finding my competence in learning and found reward in the math challenges I encountered.

Long story short, I have taken all math classes up to Linear Algebra (mat343). Unfortunately, it ended when I got to mathematical proofs, and I failed for the first and second time. Through my failure, I discovered that I don’t give up easily, and will give it my best effort. I was devastated yet transitioned into acceptance well. I continued schooling under a similar, yet different degree program, statistics.   
Next Spring, I will be taking my last two courses needed for the Bachelor’s in Statistics. 

Intending on getting an MSW degree, my direction shifted, and STEM found me.  I am grateful for the willingness to work past challenges or hurdles, grateful to not give up under pressure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Words and Video

Why My Career Preferences Are Open For Discussion

The Extent of My Conversation